Lee Ann Torrans: How to Make a Fairy Wand!
Fairies never shop .. They find most things.
Many items can be made for free from items in your home – or – for very little expense.
How to Make a Fairy Wand for a Frugal FairyItems Needed
- 36 inch dowel rod (49 cents)
- 2/3rd Yard Tulle (total) (99 cents a yard)
- 3 Yards Quarter Inch Wide Ribbon (49 cents a yard)
- Paint, Elmers Glue and Glitter (or hot glue gun and glue)
- Select three to four colors tulle
- Tulle strips will be 3/4 inches wide
- Tulle strips will be approximately 18 inches long
- Total of Eight 3/4 inch wide strips of each color
- You will need about four inches of width of three or four colors
- Select one or two pieces of tulle with sparkles and glitters
Step Number One
- Take 36 inch inch width dowel rod. (Yellow Tips)
- Cut one 24 inch length for older fairy
- Cut two 18 inch lengths for smaller fairies.
Step Number Two
- Can cut dowel rod with cutting pliers
- These purchased at 99 cent store for 99 cents.
Step Number Two (second option)
- Can use plastic coat hanger for wand.
- Cut with cutting pliers.
- Leave tiny curve at one end to attach ribbons and tulle.
Step Number Three
- Cutting Tulle
- Tulle is 54 inches wide.
- Fold into approximately eight inch fold.
- Cut three quarter inch strips from side.
- Use three to four colors and cut four strips or each color.
- This shortenss the cutting process.
Just grab the colors of tulle in a bunch and cut your 3/4 inch lengths.
Step Number Four
- Take strips and cut in half long ways.
Step Number Five
- Select quarter inch ribbons
- Cut ribbons between 24 and 16 inches.
- Six strips
- Total ribbon 4 yards.
Step Number Six
- Take one strip ribbon and tie tulle and ribbon at half way point.
CREATE TWO OF THESE!
But do not over do with the tulle!
Don’t make your wand look like a dishwashing net scrubber.
Step Number Seven
- Take wand and paint chosen color
- When paint dries coat with Elmers glue
- Sprinkle with glitter
- Can coat with glue by putting a Ziplock bag on your hand and spreading
If called away just put brush in ZipLock bag and place in freezer.
Step Number Eight
- Once gliltter has dried put a bit of glue around top part of wand.
- Take ribbon that tied tulle and ribbons and tie it around the top
of the wand.
- Wand will be one sided
- Take second bunch of tulle and ribbon and tie right under the first
tulle/ribbon bunch facing the opposite side for balance.
Step Number Nine
- Put tiny drops of Elmer’s glue on tulle and ribbon.
- Be sure drops are small because large drops will run.
- Can use hot glue as well. Mini sticks are preferred.
- Sprinkle with glitter over manilla folder or something to catch excess
- Can purchase glitter glue if you wish — but why?
Behold Fairy Wand!